This is an innovative program introduced from the 2nd quarter of this year as it was realized the library has to promote its service through centralized information corners without any sectional barriers. The center place of the library has been selected for this programe for the exhibition. One particular topic in relation to curriculum in all disciplines is selected and it is arranged in the following manner.
- Objects related to the topic as primary Information resources
- Books and other materials related to the objects as secondary information resources
- Important information extracted in the books and related materials as tertiary information resources.
Selection of the topic is based on the current event, the importance of the particular day for the exhibition and the important personalities at national level and the available resources print and non print form. A multimedia presentation also mounted in relation to the subject. A subject was selected in a way of the important events of the day. It will be displayed for at least two weeks enable the reader to take reference.
Important events of the day
The main purpose of this corner is
- to promote its current awareness service in the form of bulletin boards, newspaper corner etc.
- to give a background information to the readers about important days of a year.
- to make the reader general awareness of the collection of the library.
- to exhibit materials with objects in relation to the subjects.
Selection of the topic is based on the current event, the importance of the particular day for the exhibition and the important personalities at national level and the available resources print and non print form.
A multimedia presentation also mounted in relation to the subject. A subject is selected in a way of the important events of the day. It can be displayed for at least two weeks enable the reader to take reference.
Students are encouraged to make an official request to obtain the relevant books for the studies which are not available in the Library.
Following Multimedia demonstrations for readers via PPT is accompanied with the presentation International day of the family/ World telecommunication day/ World refugee day/ World environment day/ Tsunami/ World famous libraries/ World famous disasters
Know your role model
Purpose of this section is
- to bring the awareness about a person and his or contributions to the society.
- to show the readers about the strength of the collections of great personalities worldwide.
Separate corner is selected in the center place of the reader services section in the ground floor to exhibit this programme.
Personalities of local importance are given priority
Exhibition is based on the followings
- Picture of the particular person in the center
- Publications available at the library and the list of the publications not available in the library
- Biographical sketch of the person
- Some of the programmes are accompanied by power point presentations
Following Multimedia demonstrations for readers via PPT is accompanied with the presentation. It can be displayed for at least two weeks enable the reader to take reference.
The main purpose of this corner is to educate the user to understand the hazard for the library resources and make them to realize how the good handling practice would safeguard the resources.
This corner is divided into three following major areas.
- Enemies of Information resources- Here the enemies are classified into five major types -physical properties of the materials, physical and chemical factors, biological factors, environmental factors and unexpected disasters. This section concentrated to display all the theoretical information of the natural and man made hazards for the materials by hanging the banners and posters and placed each example for the damaged materials in a glass front box to make the awareness of deterioration of the materials.
- Physical preservation and conservation methods of the resources- Since binding is regarded as the main preservation of paper based materials the steps involved in binding is displayed in a sequential manner. All the binding materials necessary for binding are displayed. Photographs of Binding equipments are displayed and the process of the binding is explained.
- Content preservation and conservation of the materials – this includes photocopying and digitization of materials.
Records of Human Thoughts
The purpose of setting up this phase is to introduce the user the various dimension of information resources available in a human society and to improve the Resource literacy, or the ability to understand the form of information resources, especially daily expanding networked information resources.
For the purpose of this all the base materials in which information is recorded from Stone Age to present times are displayed. The devices like papyrus, bamboo, birch bark are not available here the photographs of the same are displayed. All the base materials such as stone, clay, wood, bark, cloth, leaf, parchment, metal, paper and fiber are displayed here to expose the devices used by the society in recording the information. In case the original materials are not available models are made for the storage media such as clay tablet, wood, metal book, parchment etc. Other devices such as ola leaf, modern audio visual materials such as audio cassettes, micro film, micro fiche, realia of each items are collected and displayed. Tablets, scroll and codex are the three major formats in each storage devices and the samples are collected in each format and displayed here.